The "late surprise" problem

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Sun Mar 23 10:44:40 CET 2003

Hi,

While the discussion of SIRs has been interesting for its
ability to bring some problems to light, I want to mention
that is continues to be solutionist.

As I attempted to explain early in the process, using a
solution to demonstrate or explore a problem is, in my opinion,
both acceptable and unavoidable.

Taking a problem and discussing it in detail, refining and
reworking it is crosses the line into solution space.  I certainly
don't want to stifle discussion of it, in fact I have my own
opinions that I might be willing to share in the correct place.
Perhaps this discussion would better done on the IETF list as
it suggests a major organizational change that could be of general
concern.

Thanks
a.