"trouble maker"

James Kempf kempf at docomolabs-usa.com
Mon Jun 23 09:43:25 CEST 2003

Harald,

> <solutionism>
> record-keeping in a form other than the list archive and the end product
of
> the WG might be a good idea; I've occasionally seen meeting minutes used
> this way, but it's more difficult for decisions reached on the mailing
list.
> </solutionism>

I've started requesting draft editors in WGs where I'm chair to keep an
issues list that contains what the current issues with drafts are, proposed
solutions, and why the proposed solution was selected. This is a very useful
tool in moving work forward and preventing the revisiting of issues. In some
cases, people raise issues again not because they want to disrupt work but
because either they were not involved in the initial discussion and don't
have the context or they have forgottent the original discussion. The issues
lists are not meant to be a permanent archive of the WG's work, like mailing
list archives and RFCs, however.

            jak