MAJOR ISSUE: "Concentration of power"

Harald Tveit Alvestrand harald at alvestrand.no
Fri Jun 20 22:18:41 CEST 2003

--On fredag, juni 20, 2003 13:18:15 -0500 Basavaraj.Patil at nokia.com wrote:

> Hello,
>
> The issue of "concentration of power" seems to be taking on far more
> complex connotations than it really is.
>
> Concentration of power means just that. A very few *select* people in
> the IETF wield the enormous power to decide what in their opinion is
> right for standardization and what is not. The select few get to
> decide what WGs are created, what BoFs are approved, and what WGs are
> terminated etc.
>
> As in any organization there needs to be a system of checks and
> balances. At this time there does not seem to be any such for the
> power of the IESG. That is what the key issue is. Its okay to have a
> body that is responsible for all the tasks that the IESG handles
> today. But remember the old adage: "Power corrupts and absolute
> power... "
>
> I do not believe that "concentration of power" has anything to do with
> classes and trusted networks. I completely agree with James that this
> idea of classes etc. is indeed a red herring.

You may be right.... but this is the problem described in section 2.5.1 of
the draft - "Span of Authority". And I think the WG has rough consensus on
that section (including me!)

This thread started out discussing section 2.5.5 - "Concentration of
Influence in Too Few Hands" - which talks about the set of people that the
IESG and IAB people talk to, not just the currently-sitting IESG/IAB
members.

Let's not confuse the two issues....

                   Harald