ISSUE: Goal of problem-statement document

Spencer Dawkins spencer at mcsr-labs.org
Sun Jun 8 00:45:08 CEST 2003

Dear Randy,

I'm reading your note as carefully as I can, and see you are
asking that we understand needs and requirements well.
I agree, and want to focus on the definition of "well enough".

Speaking only for myself, I agreed with our text (and may
have suggested it) because I strongly suspected that the
engineering alternative was discussing each problem,
determining its root cause, and agreeing on a prioritized
list of root causes before we did anything.

I would love to be wrong.

I can't speak for others, but my goal here was to avoid
having to figure out what the IETF consensus was on a
prioritized root cause list before moving on any root cause.
This looked like death to me. I don't believe there are ANY
scope limits on discussions about the relative priority of
root IETF problems, unlike our normal engineering work.

So I thought developing a root cause list (which we have
done, at least at some level) was sufficient, without spending
time trying to determine priorities. I thought this was "good
enough".

I would love to hear other opinions.

Spencer Dawkins