A few hums

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Wed Jul 23 10:45:47 CEST 2003

Just adding my two cents..

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
[...]
> And was it just me

Nope.

> or were many of the participants from Japan
> especially hard to understand?

YES!

> I think in many cases this is
> exacerbated when people (try to) speak too fast. [...]

Indeed.

However, *I* at least don't have any problems with understanding fast
speaking, *as long as* the speaker is a native speaker (or close enough),
i.e. can speak in a way I'm used to hear English spoken.  I'm not sure how
big a problem this is for most folks.

But when someone with e.g. a strong French or Japanese/Korean accent tries
to speak fast, then everyone is lost immediately..