Robert's Rules (Re: ADs who are also WG chairs)

Hallam-Baker, Phillip pbaker at verisign.com
Fri Jul 4 10:44:59 CEST 2003

> serious question:
>
> do you have an example of a version of Robert's rules of
> order that has
> successfully been applied to mailing lists?

This was the subject of some study by my group when I was at IETF. We ran an
Open Meeting over the Internet for Vice President Al Gore.

That was a moderated forum using an adapted form of Recher's dialectic,
however the moderation was not essential in that case.

> RR has a number of concepts that are hard to apply to a
> mailing list -
> recognition of speakers by the chair, expulsion from the room
> of disorderly
> members, voting in real time on points of procedure, for
> instance. I'd be
> interested in hearing of examples of successful adaptations.

Some of the rules are not appropriate because the constraints are not. For
example it is not necessary to require recognition by the chair since it is
possible for more than one person to speak at once.

The key point is what to do with respect to decisions and what to do with in
person and conference call meeting time.

What we do in OASIS in most cases is to run with an abreviated version of
the rules except when there is an actual controversy and someone wants to
make sure process is followed.

		Phill