Appeal records (was: Re: appeal mechanisms was Re: Ombuds-process)

John C Klensin john-ietf at jck.com
Tue Jul 1 09:20:53 CEST 2003

(Separating this off into a separate thread)

--On Tuesday, 01 July, 2003 09:42 +0900 avri
<avri at apocalypse.org> wrote:

> I would really be interested in an analysis of the number of
> appeals that have been brought forth in last years, the number
> of successful ones and the reasons formally given for the
> unsuccessful ones.  Is a formal record kept of all appeals and
> the deliberation on those appeals?  Are those records open and
> readily available to the IETF participants?

I doubt that such records exist in a form that would be amenable
to statistical analysis.  Certainly the _decisions_ of the IAB
on appeals have been public and, as far as I can recall, have
always been recorded on the IAB's web pages.

But keep in mind that the absolutely most effective of appeals
are those in which someone has a semi-informal discussion with
an AD or the IETF Chair, is persuasive about the subject, and
gets a "yes, we should have thought of that, let me fix it"
response... or is persuaded that the appeal-topic really isn't
an issue.  Those are the most successful of appeals in terms of
quick action and minimal disruption, but they aren't likely to
be recorded anywhere.   The ones that actually get formal IESG
or IAB action represent either process failures or irrational
complaints and are unlikely to produce results --"successful" or
not that are completely satisfactory to anyone.

      john