Working group participation issue

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Sun Feb 23 09:40:46 CET 2003

On Sat, 22 Feb 2003, Andy Bierman wrote:
> At 08:39 AM 2/23/2003 +0200, Pekka Savola wrote:
> >On Sat, 22 Feb 2003, Andy Bierman wrote:
> >> but only the chair(s), author(s) and design
> >> team members (if any) actually make any real commitment to get any work
> >> done by a specific deadline.
> >
> >It seems to me that this is false, more often than not. :-(
> >
> >Perhaps I'm expecting w.g. chairs to be more active, push the w.g.
> >(especially editors, authors etc.) to do stuff, and perhaps I'm expecting
> >the authors to be more active in pushing and revising the documents
> >they're authoring.
>
> I don't think you understood my point.

You're right, but I was just responding like "speaking of which, this is
what I think about author/chair/... commitment", perhaps I should be
clearer.

> It's not enough that
> authors write documents in a timely matter.  It's important
> that the technical content represent the consensus of the
> community it's supposed to serve.  Without this buy-in from
> vendors and operators, a standard is not going to succeed.
> The "stuckee" proposal does not guarantee success, but it
> allows the chair(s) and ADs to have a better understanding
> throughout the WG process that widespread interest and
> sufficient resources exist for a particular work item.

You're right, of course.

My counter-argument is that operators', vendors' etc. interests (as in,
the best engineering judgment as they see it) should be represented early
on in the process.

My assumption would be those would typically be stuckees themselves, or if
they feel the technology is important, commentary on the issues would be
brought forward early, not in the last calls.

But of course, this assumes this commentary is taken into consideration.
There is no magic there of course, you just have to be able to argue for
it.