objectivity vs. leadership [was Re: Cross-Area Review]

James Kempf kempf at docomolabs-usa.com
Fri Apr 25 12:46:22 CEST 2003

Aaron,

There are many ways for IESG and IAB members to become involved in a
technical discussion, and not all of them require becoming outspoken
on a mailing list. In fact, doing so often is counterproductive,
because then the opinion becomes just another person's opinion, and
may carry little weight with partisans who are firmly convinced they
are right. An example of what I am talking about is a working group
charter that was somewhat controversial awhile back. One IAB member
had some very firm opinions about it, and was instrumental in working
with the ADs and WG chairs in getting the charter revised to reflect a
direction that was architecturally more appropriate, though the IAB
member never publically came out and argued one way or the other. Such
an approach may lead to "black helicopter" accusations, and so there
limits to when this indirect approach should be used. On very
controversial topics, such as the recent discussion about site local
on the IPv6 list, a carefully phrased public position, expressed in a
way that doesn't generate a spam-like cascade of counter opposition
from the other side, is sometimes more useful.

            jak