Individually-submitted proposed RFCs (was: Re: what is a prob lem)

John C Klensin john-ietf@jck.com
Tue, 26 Nov 2002 08:31:21 -0500

--On Tuesday, 26 November, 2002 14:29 +0100 "Wijnen, Bert
(Bert)" <bwijnen@lucent.com> wrote:

>> 	* Has been instructed by the IESG to not process any
>> 	such requests, or even review the documents, during an
>> 	IETF meeting or the several weeks before and maybe after
>> 	it.  That blackout implies around three months out of
>> 	the year in which those documents are not examined, at
>> 	IESG request.
>>
> I do know that once the RFC-Editor asked for review of an
> individual document (relevant to my area) a week or so before
> an IETF meeting. And as many of you know, we are juyst
> overloaded with documents just before an IETF meeting. So I
> questioned if we should give priority to such requests for
> reviewing/checking individual documents as opposed to
> focus-ing on the docs to be dioscussed by the WGs at the IETF
> meeting. I think we all agreed that my focus should be on WG
> documents... and so I  think RFC-Editor agreed to be a bit
> flexible with the normal timeout.

Bert,

Being flexible with the timeout during IETF meetings, and the
immediately proceeding period, seems completely reasonable to
me.  But the RFC Editor believes, or believed a few months ago,
that IESG had instructed them to not submit documents, nor even
initiate an internal review on those documents, during that
period.  That is _not_, IMO, reasonable.

    john