Killing old/slow groups - transition thinking

Marc Blanchet Marc.Blanchet@viagenie.qc.ca
Tue, 10 Dec 2002 00:44:44 -0500

-- dimanche, d=E9cembre 08, 2002 10:04:32 -0800 Marshall Rose
<mrose@dbc.mtview.ca.us> wrote/a =E9crit:

> all - this is a very long note, sorry.   =20
>    =20
>> just for kicks, I revived some old scripts of mine.
>> if you check out
>> http://www.alvestrand.no/ietf/milestones/milestones.html,  you will find
>> the list of all milestones in the IETF, sorted by date.
>>    =20
>> OSPF FTPEXT IFMIB RIP VRRP MANET TN3270E PIM ISIS MSDP DNSOP DHC PPPEXT=20
>> SMIME IPCDN MBONED DNSEXT RMT IPSRA SYSLOG IMAPEXT MOBILEIP MPLS KRB-WG=20
>> WEBDAV ITRACE ACAP CALSCH ATOMMIB LDUP TSVWG CCAMP APEX IMPP OPENPGP TLS =

>> MSEC STIME L2TPEXT SEAMOBY BMWG IPV6 MAGMA PILC MALLOC ZEROCONF EOS PRIM =

>> MULTI6 IPSEC TEWG FAX
>>=20
>    =20
> however, because for most of the last decade the IESG has refused to
> tie grossly overdue milestones to whacking WGs, the WGs know that the
> milestones are meaningless...

I agree with Marshall here. When a task is asked to be done but no feedback
if you don't do it, then the task is not done.
happens in organisations, in family (my 2.5 years old daughter reminds me
everyday...), everywhere. Not specific to IETF.

I think we should:
- either kill these milestones
- or somewhat enforce them. My mind is not set yet on what would be the
enforcement rule and not yet convinced about what Marshall & cie suggest,
but still a proposal to look.

Marc.