Registration of media type application/calendar+xml

Nathaniel Borenstein nsb at guppylake.com
Sat Sep 11 14:42:13 CEST 2010

Although I agree, and will stipulate, that:

	-- Multiple syntaxes are nearly always a bad idea

and

	-- iCal is badly broken (in fact, more broken than any of the cited articles indicate)

We don't live in the best of all possible worlds.  There is a demonstrable need to continue to support iCal, and to have an interoperable XML format, until something better comes along.  While I would enthusiastically support and work on such a better calendar format (I will resist the urge to add my list of additional problems with iCal to the discussion), I think we have to cope with current reality, in which there is a growing demand for XML calendar interoperation.

In other words:  iCal sucks but that's irrelevant.  Multiple syntaxes suck, but sometimes they're necessary.  We've created a great big turd, and now we need to periodically squirt perfume on it or it will only smell worse and worse over time.  -- Nathaniel