Potential media type registration: application/metalink4+xml for Metalink Download Description Format

Anthony Bryan anthonybryan at gmail.com
Thu Apr 22 18:27:31 CEST 2010

On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 5:06 AM, Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi at gmx.net> wrote:
> * Anthony Bryan wrote:
>>6.2.  application/metalink4+xml MIME type
>
>>   Additional information:
>>
>>   Magic number(s):  As specified for "application/xml" in [RFC3023],
>>      Section 3.2.
>
> This isn't quite accurate, as that would not identify metalink documents
> (but rather all XML documents). I think "None" would be better, some XML
> types also discuss presence of root elements or namespaces, but that's
> not really helpful here, in my opinion.

Changed to "None"

>>   File extension:  .meta4
>>
>>   Macintosh File Type code:  TEXT
>>
>>   Person and email address to contact for further information:
>>      Anthony Bryan <anthonybryan at gmail.com>
>>
>>   Intended usage:  COMMON
>>
>>   Restrictions on usage:  None.
>>
>>   Author/Change controller:  IESG
>
> This should be two fields, with you as the author and the IESG as change
> controller.

Author:
    Anthony Bryan <anthonybryan at gmail.com>

> Other than that this looks good.
>
> (You didn't copy the ietf-types list, so I'll send a mail there pointing
> out that we've resolved this offlist, assuming you'll be making these
> changes during auth48.)

I copied the ietf-types list now. Here it is for one last review.
Thanks for taking the time to catch these last minute!

6.2.  application/metalink4+xml MIME type

   A Metalink Document, when serialized as XML 1.0, can be identified
   with the following media type:

   Type name:  application

   Subtype name:  metalink4+xml

   Required parameters:  None.

   Optional parameters:

      "charset":  This parameter has semantics identical to the charset
         parameter of the "application/xml" media type as specified in
         [RFC3023].

   Encoding considerations:  Identical to those of "application/xml" as
      described in [RFC3023], Section 3.2.

   Security considerations:  As defined in this specification.

      In addition, as this media type uses the "+xml" convention, it
      shares the same security considerations as described in [RFC3023],
      Section 10.

   Interoperability considerations:  There are no known interoperability
      issues.

   Published specification:  This specification.

   Applications that use this media type:  File transfer applications.

   Additional information:

   Magic number(s):  None.

   Author:  Anthony Bryan <anthonybryan at gmail.com>

   Change controller:  IESG

--
(( Anthony Bryan ... Metalink [ http://www.metalinker.org ]
  )) Easier, More Reliable, Self Healing Downloads