Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-murata-kohn-lilley-xml-03

Chris Lilley chris at w3.org
Mon Sep 28 19:28:29 CEST 2009

On Monday, September 28, 2009, 6:58:10 PM, Julian wrote:

JR> Chris Lilley wrote:
>> Right - text/* is much more constrained here in terms of what can be fixed.

JR> Do you happen to have a summary why it actually cannot be changed? As
JR> far as I can tell almost everybody is ignoring this requirement anyway.

This is mentioned in A.16.  Why not redefine text/xml instead of deprecating it
http://www.w3.org/2006/02/son-of-3023/draft-murata-kohn-lilley-xml-03.html#anchor44

  Since many XML processors do not follow RFC 3023 (they treat the xml
  encoding declaration as authoritative) it has been suggested that
  text/xml be redefined to follow the same behavior as application/xml
  in this specification. However, this pragmatic solution would not be
  compatible with the definition of the text/* type for non-HTTP
  transports.

The troublesome text is in section 4.1. Text Media Type  of RFC 2046

  The canonical form of any MIME "text" subtype MUST always represent
  a line break as a CRLF sequence. Similarly, any occurrence of CRLF
  in MIME "text" MUST represent a line break. Use of CR and LF outside
  of line break sequences is also forbidden.

  This rule applies regardless of format or character set or sets
  involved.

Clearly, that is incompatible with UTF-16, one of the two mandatory
encodings for XML.

>> So text/xml has not changed but also, is deprecated for that
>> reason. My comment (slightly loose as a summary, perhaps) was in
>> the context of application/xml and the non-text/*+xml types.

JR> But for those it's not a change from RFC3023, right?

Right, the forcing us-ascii only applied to text/*. Sorry for being
imprecise. See my earlier mail for more important differences wrt 3023
in the handling of the charset parameter for application/xml (and
application/xml-dtd and application/xml-external-parsed-entity and
non-text/*+xml)

 Chris Lilley                    mailto:chris at w3.org
 Technical Director, Interaction Domain
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead