Registration of media type application/xtm+xml

Lars Marius Garshol larsga at garshol.priv.no
Thu Nov 19 15:15:54 CET 2009

I intend to submit the following media type registration to the IESG for registration with IANA. However, before then I would welcome community review and feedback on the proposed registration. If you see any problems, please let me know.

Assuming that the appropriate form for such a media type registration would be an RFC-style document I wrote one up using the xml2rfc syntax and published it here:
  http://www.isotopicmaps.org/sam/xtm-rfc.html

The actual registration part is included below.

   This is a media type registration as defined in RFC 4288, "Media Type
   Specifications and Registration Procedures" [RFC4288].

   *MIME media type name:* application

   *MIME subtype name:* xtm+xml

   *Required parameters:* none

   *Optional parameters:* charset

   Same as charset parameter of application/xml, defined in RFC 3023
   [RFC3023].

   *Encoding considerations:* Same as encoding considerations of
   application/xml, defined in RFC 3023 [RFC3023].

   *Security considerations:* See Section 5.

   *Interoperability considerations:* _NEED TO WRITE THIS PART_

   *Published specification:* See the Topic Maps Data Model [ISO13250-2]
   and the XTM specification [ISO13250-3].

   *Applications which use this media type:* XTM is device-, platform-,
   and vendor-neutral and is supported by a range of applications and
   web services.

   *Magic number(s):* none

   Although no byte sequences can be counted on to consistently identify
   XTM, XTM documents will have the sequence
   "http://www.topicmaps.org/xtm/" to identify the XTM namespace.  This
   will usually be near the top of the document.

   *File extensions(s):* .xtm

   *Macintosh File Type Code(s):* "xtm "

   *For further information:* contact the editors, Lars Marius Garshol
   <larsga at garshol.priv.no> and Graham Moore
   <graham.moore at networkedplanet.com>, or ISO SC34.  More information
   may be found on the website of ISO SC34 WG3:
   <http://www.isotopicmaps.org>.

   *Intended usage:* COMMON

   *Author/Change controller:* The XTM standard was produced by ISO
   SC34, which has change control over the standard.