MIME Media Types

Christian Timmerer (ITEC) christian.timmerer at itec.uni-klu.ac.at
Mon May 4 16:09:02 CEST 2009

Hello,
   I'd like to inform you that we've defined the MIME type application/
mp21 as part of ISO/IEC 21000-9:2005/Amd.1:2008 (File format of the
MPEG-21 Multimedia Framework). The MIME type definition is publicly
available at the following address and also below for your convenience.

Annex D of ISO/IEC 21000-9:2005:
http://standards.iso.org/ittf/PubliclyAvailableStandards/c050551_ISOIEC_21009_2005_Amd_2008_Annex_D.pdf
F. A. S. site:
http://standards.iso.org/ittf/PubliclyAvailableStandards/index.html

I would appreciate if this could be included as a mime type at http://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/application/
.

In case you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Thank you.
Best regards,
  -Christian
(editor of ISO/IEC 21000-9:2005/Amd.1:2008)

The text from http://standards.iso.org/ittf/PubliclyAvailableStandards/c050551_ISOIEC_21009_2005_Amd_2008_Annex_D.pdf

MIME media type name: application

MIME subtype name: mp21

Required parameters: none

Optional parameters: none

Encoding considerations: base64 is generally preferred; files are
binary and should be
transmitted without CR/LF conversion, 7-bit stripping, etc. Note that
although files

conforming to ISO/IEC 21000-2 are textual XML the mp21 file which
contains it is binary.
Security considerations: It is possible to inject non-compliant MPEG
streams (Audio, Video,
and Systems) in the MP21 file to overload the receiver/decoder's
buffers. This might
compromise the functionality of the receiver or even crash it.

An MP21 file supports the storage of stream types, including commands
that are executed on
the terminal such as Digital Item Methods based on ECMASCRIPT for
which also bindings to
Java(TM) and C++ exists. It is possible to use one or more of the
above in a manner non-
compliant to MPEG to crash the receiver or temporarily make it
unavailable.

Authentication mechanisms can be used to validate of the sender and
the data to prevent
security problems due to non-compliant malignant MP21 files.

Interoperability considerations: A number of interoperating
implementations exist within
the ISO/IEC 21000 community, and that community has reference software
for reading and
writing the file format.

Published specification: ISO/IEC 21000-9:2005

Applications which use this media type: Multimedia

Additional information:

   Magic number(s): none

   File extension(s): m21 and mp21 are both declared at http://www.fileinfo.net
  and http://filext.com/.

   Macintosh File Type Code(s): mp21 is registered with Apple.

Person & email address to contact for further information: David
Singer, singer at apple.com

Intended usage: COMMON

Author/Change controller: David Singer, ISO/IEC 21000 file format chair