Registration of media type model/x3d+XXX

Martin Duerst duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Sat Jan 3 09:33:28 CET 2009

At 13:57 09/01/03, MURATA Makoto wrote:
>The +xml suffix is specified in RFC 4288 and RFC 3023, while the vrml
>suffix and +binary suffix are not.  Thus, x3d+vrml and
>x3d+binary should be renamed.

I agree. VRML is *very* specific to x3d (actually, VRML was around
before X3D :-). There are many binary data formats, but there is
nothing generic to binary, each binary format stands on its own,
and usually isn't even labeled as such.

Therefore, I'd propose to use x3d+xml, x3d-vrml and x3d-binary,
in line with existing practice.

Regards,    Martin.

#-#-#  http://www.sw.it.aoyama.ac.jp       mailto:duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp