Registration of media type application/schema+json

Kris Zyp kris at sitepen.com
Thu Feb 19 01:11:57 CET 2009

Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
> * Kris Zyp wrote:
>>
>> Type name:
>>
>> application
>>
>> Subtype name: schema+json
>
> As per RFC 4288 http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4288.txt "Registrations
> in the standards tree MUST be approved by the IESG and MUST
> correspond to a formal publication by a recognized standards body."
> It seems this is not the case here. You could, for example, follow
> the RFC process for a suitable publication. Alternatively you could
> place the type into a different tree, for example,
> application/vnd.json-schema.schema+json.
>
> Also note that the use of "+type" is controversial, RFC 4288 notes:
>

> In accordance with the rules specified in [RFC3023], media subtypes
>  that do not represent XML entities MUST NOT be given a name that
> ends with the "+xml" suffix.  More generally, "+suffix" constructs
> should be used with care, given the possibility of conflicts with
> future suffix definitions.
>
> At the least, a proposal should include a rationale for using it.

I'm sorry, I guess I misunderstood the process, I thought we were
supposed to submit a provisional MIME-type registration prior to the
effort of creating the formal publication (which is certainly the
intent). What MIME type are we supposed to use in the meantime? I was
under the impression that IETF was discouraging the use of x- prefixed
MIME types?
Kris

>> Required parameters:
>>
>> Optional parameters: schema schema.items
>
> These lack a proper definition.
>
>> Encoding considerations: Encoded in application/json format
>
> This should probably refer to the application/json's encoding
> considerations then. Generally, the field needs to have one of the
> values "7bit", "8bit", "binary", "framed".
>
> I hope this helps,

- --
Kris Zyp
SitePen