Request for review of Ogg Media Types: video/ogg, audio/ogg, application/ogg

Magnus Westerlund magnus.westerlund at ericsson.com
Tue Jan 15 11:24:24 CET 2008

Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves skrev:
> Hello Simon,
>
> On 1/14/08, Simon Josefsson <simon at josefsson.org> wrote:
>> There is a reference for base64 to RFC2397 which
>> looks odd to me, please consider to use RFC4648 instead.
>
> You are right.
>
> I wonder: is there a way to make this minor change without resetting
> the time counter?  It would be nice if it would not necessary to wait
> one more month until the media types are accepted by IANA.  Or maybe
> IANA does not need to wait until the I-D becomes accepted as an RFC?

The timer for the IETF types list review is not normally reset for minor
corrections. Only substantial or controversial ones really need a
reissued review period. There will also be time at the IETF last call to
make a second review.

However, I get the impression that you misunderstand how and when the
update will happen. As this media type is in the standard tree and was
registered by an IETF standards track document, the only way of updating
it is to publish an RFC that obsoletes the previous one. Thus your
updated document needs to get AD sponsored and be approved by the IESG
before the update can happen. After the approval IANA will update the
media types registry to point at the new RFC.

I am willing to become the sponsoring AD for this document. Please
submit an updated internet draft and then notify me personally when you
are satisfied with the draft and think it is ready to be published.

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund

IETF Transport Area Director & TSVWG Chair
Ericsson AB                | Phone +46 8 4048287
Torshamsgatan 23           | Fax   +46 8 7575550
S-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden | mailto: magnus.westerlund at ericsson.com