Request and Review of application for addition of ddms+xml MIME Type

Safa, Pouya psafa at fgm.com
Fri Feb 29 21:10:26 CET 2008

All,
let me begin by mentioning that I am new to the IETF and the
registration process and so I am soliciting the group for not only
feedback for the proposed addition of "application/ddms+xml" MIME type
but also the application process.

the below application provides general background and pertinent
information.  If there's a need for further information, please let me
know; your input is greatly appreciated.

Name : Pouya Safa

Email : psafa at fgm.com

MIME media type name : Application

MIME subtype name : (Standards Tree) ddms+xml

Required parameters : identifier, title, creator, subjectCoverage,
security

Optional parameters :

subtitle, description, language, dates, rights, source, type,publisher,
contributor, pointOfContact, format, virtualCoverage, temporalCoverage,
geospatialCoverage

Encoding considerations : 7bit

Security considerations : the DDMS utilizes the xs:any tag which may
potentially be a security liability.

Interoperability considerations :

Published specification :

The United States DoD Discovery Metadata Specification (DDMS) defines
discovery metadata elements for resources posted to community and
organizational shared spaces. "Discovery" is the ability to locate data
assets through a consistent and flexible search. Visibility,
accessibility, and understandability are the high priority goals of the
DoD Net-Centric Data Strategy and publicizing DDMS promotes reusability
of existing DoD XML based data.

Applications which use this media :

Any DoD or Intelligence Community XML based application utilizing data
interchange and reusability.

Additional information :

1. Magic number(s) : none

2. File extension(s) : xml

3. Macintosh file type code : none

4. Object Identifiers: none

DDMS specification: https://metadata.dod.mil/mdr/irs/DDMS/index.html
<https://metadata.dod.mil/mdr/irs/DDMS/index.html>

Person to contact for further information :

1. Name : Pouya Safa

2. Email : psafa at fgm.com

Intended usage : Common

Intended for data interoperability and reuse for the United States DoD
and IC applications.

Author/Change controller : DoD Data Services Office