Request for two new media types submitted

Eric Prud'hommeaux eric at w3.org
Tue Dec 2 23:27:38 CET 2008

* Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi at gmx.net> [2008-12-02 18:36+0100]
> * Phil Archer wrote:
> >On behalf of the W3C POWDER Working Group I have have today submitted
> >two registration requests for Media Types. As cited in those requests,
> >the key documentation is section 4 of Protocol for Web Description
> >Resources (POWDER): Description Resources [1]. Although this is formally
> >published as a working draft, we are close to reaching our Candidate
> >Recommendation exit criteria and therefore expect to seek transition to
> >Proposed Recommendation later this month.
>
> >[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/powder-dr/#assoc
>
> As per RFC 4288
>
>    As stated previously, standards tree registrations for media types
>    defined in documents produced by other standards bodies MUST be
>    described by a formal standards specification produced by that body.
>    Such specifications MUST contain an appropriate media type
>    registration template taken from Section 10.
>
> I could not find such a template in the document. Also, given that
> some http://www.w3.org/TR/webarch/#xml-media-types in the W3C think
>
>   In general, a representation provider SHOULD NOT assign Internet
>   media types beginning with "text/" to XML representations.
>
> A registration request for text/powder+xml from the W3C should not
> come without some form of justification for this choice.

Phil, meet Bjoern. Bjoern is lint for W3C and IETF specs.
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lint_programming_tool

I propose that POWDER register application/powder+xml for POWDER, and
use application/rdf+xml for POWDER-S.
  http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3870.txt

I think it's handy to include the media type registration in the spec,
à al http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-sparql-query/#mediaType .

Following http://www.w3.org/2002/06/registering-mediatype , and
assuming you have no preference above being good netizens, I have
created a template for both (powder+xml and powder-s+xml) with
  http://www.w3.org/TR/webarch/#xml-media-types
trumping
  http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc3023.txt
, i.e. using application/ instead of text/:

[[
Type name:
  application

Subtype name:
  powder+xml

Required parameters:
  None

Optional parameters:
  "charset": This parameter has identical semantics to the charset
             parameter of the "application/xml" media type as
             specified in [RFC3023], section 3.2.

Encoding considerations:
  Identical to those of "application/xml" as specified in [RFC3023],
  section 3.2.

Security considerations:

  POWDER is used to make assertions, sometimes socially sensitive,
  about web resources. Consumers of POWDER should be aware of the
  source and chain of custody of this data. Security considerations
  for URIs (Section 7 of [RFC3986]) and IRIs (Section 8 of [RFC3987])
  apply to the extent that describing resources in POWDER may prompt
  consumers to retrieve those resources.

Interoperability considerations:
  There are no known interoperability issues.

Published specification:
  http://www.w3.org/TR/powder-dr/

Applications which use this media type:
  No known applications currently use this media type.

Additional information:

Magic number(s):
  As specified for "application/xml" in [RFC3023], section 3.2.

File extension(s):
  ".srx"

Fragment identifiers:
  Identical to that of "application/xml" as described in RFC 3023
  [RFC3023], section 5.

Base URI:
  As specified in [RFC3023], section 6.

Macintosh file type code(s):
  "TEXT"

Person & email address to contact for further information:
  Phil Archer <public-powderwg at w3.org>

Intended usage:
  COMMON

Restrictions on usage:
  None

Author/Change controller:
  The POWDER specification is a work product of the World Wide Web
  Consortium's Protocol for Web Description Resources (POWDER) Working
  Group. The W3C has change control over these specifications.