OpenType MIME Type

Frank Ellermann nobody at xyzzy.claranet.de
Fri Aug 22 22:44:54 CEST 2008

Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> I'd rather not have vnd.opera.opentype or x-opentype as
> we'd have to support that forever once shipped which
> seems like a bad thing. Features introduced on the Web
> that are successful (and I expect this will be) are not
> easily removed later on.

If a standard for what you want by a "recognized standards
body" (as RFC 4288 puts it), exists, you could directly
prepare a registration template, see the RFC 4288 chapter
mentioned by Martin.  "Standards tree" is not necessarily
an IETF RFC, it can be ISO / W3C / ECMA / ...

If you have no standard yet and need a new IETF RFC from
scratch you are not talking about 2008 or 2009.  Or you
are not talking about "standards tree".  I think it does
not need to be application/vnd.opera.opentype if that's
not neutral enough.  I think the supporters could form
some "open font initiative" and pick "ofi", or similar.

Some weeks ago I tackled "opensearchdescription+xml" in
a draft.  That's a bad example, because it must be in the
"standards tree", too many of these descriptions exist.

But most opensearch ingredients are clear, they just have
to be put in a draft, either waiting for a link-relation
registry cleanup (adding HTTP), or based on the existing
atom-only registry (then the IANA registry still needs a
cleanup, but nothing impossible).  The hardest part could
be to create a schema - if that is necessary, but I think
it would be a Good Thing.

The OpenSearch draft is short, most of it "TBD", maybe it
helps you to get fresh ideas for the *procedural* part of
your plan (the IANA considerations registration template).

 Frank