OpenType MIME Type

Anne van Kesteren annevk at opera.com
Fri Aug 22 11:22:42 CEST 2008

Hi,

Relatively soon Opera and Mozilla will ship with support for downloadable
fonts. Rather than sniffing, as currently happens for images, or ignoring
MIME types altogether (ECMAScript), we think it would be good to actually
check for a MIME type this time around. :-)

What would be a good MIME type to check for here?

  * font/opentype
  * application/opentype
  * something else?

How do we go about registering this? Also, how do we ensure the
registration happens fast enough for us to be able to implement it on
time? Historically, if the implementation doesn't do things like this
correctly from the start, it's close to impossible to fix it later on (see
e.g. images or ECMAScript).

(We realize Apple already shipped with this functionality without checking
but we have some hope that can still be resolved by authors fixing their
resources to also make it work for us and then later Apple fixing their
product as well.)

Thanks for your consideration and time,

--
Anne van Kesteren