Media Type Registration for OCF (application/epub+zip) - Review of Informational RFC

John C Klensin john-ietf at jck.com
Wed Sep 12 20:40:56 CEST 2007

Larry and Ned (and others,

Larry's note(s) represent exactly what I was concerned about,
although I don't know how I feel about his answer.   The zip-ish
registrations in the "vnd." tree strike me as interesting but
irrelevant, since registrations in that tree don't have any
implications beyond that particular vendor.  My concern about
application/xxxx+zip is precisely that, given the +xml
precedent, it will be construed as a member of a family of names
(construed now or after someone comes along and defines that
family).  That is ok too, as long as we can be reasonably
assured that the "epub+zip" definition is consistent with the
definition of that family... except that the latter definition
hasn't been written yet, so it is hard to be assured that the
definitions will be consistent.

Certainly, if the community is willing to set up a second
xxx+thing family for files compressed with some well-defined zip
form, it would be a way out of this difficulty and a way that I
could probably support.   Larry has suggested a way to construct
that definition, but I'm not sure I've seen anyone volunteering
to write it and shepherd it through the works yet.

    john

--On Wednesday, 12 September, 2007 10:13 -0700 Larry Masinter