MPEG asks for MIME review for the MPEG21 file format

Christian Timmerer (ITEC) christian.timmerer at itec.uni-klu.ac.at
Wed May 23 17:53:37 CEST 2007

Dear all,

  as the "source" of this MIME type please apologize my late reply because I
was one week w/o email access. It took some time to catch up. Regarding the
"+xml" suffix I agree that it is inappropriate since an MPEG-21 file is not
purely XML (see below for further details).

MPEG-21 Part 1 (Technical Report) is publicly available [1].

Concerning Digital Items, Digital Item Declaration, and MPEG-21 File Format,
let me try to clarify something because I think there's a misunderstanding:

.         A Digital Item can be seen as a digital container format that puts
(media) resources (e.g., audio, video, image, text (PDF), etc.) and metadata
(e.g., data describing the resources, licenses, identifiers, etc.) within a
standardized structure.

.         A Digital Item is declared by an Digital Item Declaration (DID)
which is based on the Digital Item Declaration Language (DIDL) that is a
representation of the Digital Item Declaration Model. The model and DIDL are
specified in MPEG-21 Part 2 which is publicly available [2]. The model is an
abstract model defined using EBNF whereas DIDL - the representation of the
model - is defined using XML Schema, thus, DID is XML-based. That is, it is
possible that other, non-XML-based representation may be derived from the
model (However, this should not be the discussion point)

.         A Digital Item may be distributed which means that its declaration
(i.e., DID) may be at one location whereas its (media) resources and
metadata may be located elsewhere on various locations.

.         The MPEG-21 file puts everything, i.e., (media) resources,
metadata, and structure (i.e., declaration), into one file, the MPEG-21 file
which is binary and contains the DID and (maybe) also the
referenced/included (media) resources.

Hope this information is helpful for you.

Thank you.

Best regards,

 -Christian

[1]
http://standards.iso.org/ittf/PubliclyAvailableStandards/c040611_ISO_IEC_TR_
21000-1_2004(E).zip

[2]
http://standards.iso.org/ittf/PubliclyAvailableStandards/c041112_ISO_IEC_210
00-2_2005(E).zip

:--

:- Dipl.-Ing. Dr. Christian Timmerer

:- Department of Information Technology (ITEC)

:- Klagenfurt University, Austria

:- http://research.timmerer.com