MPEG asks for MIME review for the MPEG21 file format

Dave Singer singer at apple.com
Mon May 14 20:32:16 CEST 2007

I've added Christian here, who actually authored the document.

At 8:50  +0100 14/05/07, Graham Klyne wrote:
>I have a couple of comments:
>
>(1) the "Encoding considerations" section appears to confuse MIME requirements
>for text with encoding for transmission over non-binary channels.  A MIME
>content transfer encoding of "Binary" would be sufficient to indicate
>prohibition of CR/LF conversion or 7-bit stripping.

I think this text was copied from other MIME registrations.

>(2) the subtype name -- if I recall correctly, MPEG-21 uses an XML
>encapsulation
>layer (MPEG21-DIDL) for assembling various subparts into a composite for
>transmission (unfortunately, lack of a freely available online version of the
>cited document means that I can't check this).  If I am correct here, then it
>may be more appropriate to use content type name "application/mp21+xml".

Correct, the main document inside the binary archive is indeed in
XML.  But the overall file format is binary.  Doesn't the mime type
"+xml" suggest that the document is specialized XML only (i.e. a text
document)?

>Also, if I recall correctly, the use of BASE64 for binary components within an
>MPEG21-DIDL XML wrapper is covered by the MPEG21 specification
>itself, so it may
>be quite inappropriate to suggest Base64 encoding applied at the MIME level.

The file format contains the XML, and also the attached binary
resources, outside the XML but inside the file format.  They are not
(necessarily or normally) encoded at all.

>It would be very much easier to give useful review if there was at least a
>publicly web-accessible summary of what this content type is
>expected to convey.

Sure.  There are brief intros at

<http://www.chiariglione.org/mpeg/mpeg-tech.htm>;  have a look at
ISO Base Media File Format
and specifically:
Digital Item File Format

The base file format specification contains a lot of otehr stuff as
well (stuff MPEG-21 doesn't use), but if you want to view it, it is
freely available

<http://isotc.iso.org/livelink/livelink/fetch/2000/2489/Ittf_Home/PubliclyAvailableStandards.htm>
and find 14496-12

Christian may well have introductory material as well.

Hope that helps.

--
David Singer
Apple Computer/QuickTime