Review requested for MusicXML media type proposals

Michael Good musicxml at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 6 23:03:50 CEST 2007

MusicXML is a digital sheet music format currently used for interchange between
Finale, Sibelius, and over 75 other music notation programs. The format was
developed by Recordare LLC and you can find more information at Recordare's web
site:

http://www.recordare.com/xml.html

The current version is 1.1, but version 2.0 is in beta test. The main goal of
the MusicXML 2.0 update is to move from being primarily a music notation
interchange format to being a music notation distribution format - the
equivalent of MP3 files for digital sheet music. With this broader goal, it now
seems appropriate to register media types.

MusicXML 2.0 files will come in two versions: an uncompressed XML file similar
to what is used in the current MusicXML format, and a zip-compressed XML file
similar to what is used in ODF and other XML-based distribution formats. We are
proposing two media types for these two versions:

  application/vnd.recordare.musicxml
  application/vnd.recordare.musicxml+xml

The +xml version is for the uncompressed XML file; the other is for the
compressed file format.

We have posted draft registration proposals on the MusicXML developer mailing
list and are now ready for review on this list. My next two e-mail messages
will be the registration proposals for these two media types.

Thank you very much for your assistance in reviewing these proposals.

Best regards,

Michael Good
Recordare LLC
www.recordare.com