Registration of media type atomsvc+xml

Bjoern Hoehrmann derhoermi at gmx.net
Tue Jun 5 02:51:29 CEST 2007

* Paul Hoffman wrote:
>[...]

I assume you are asking for review of this type, since IANA would auto-
matically register the types following IESG approval of the document?

>    Applications that use this media type:  No known applications
>       currently use this media type.

I do not think the purpose of this field is to list individual implemen-
tations of the type, but to given an idea what kind of application would
implement it. Something like "Atom Publishing Protocol systems" would be
more suitable.

>    Base URI:  As specified in [RFC3023], section 6.

Strictly speaking, this should follow the Change controller: field. I am
not fond of encoding this information in the registration template, and
in this particular case I think this text is wrong. As I understand the
format description, the base would be established according to the rules
of the xml:base specification, while section six of RFC 3023 has nothing
normative to say on the matter. I would suggest to remove this field.

>    Author/Change controller:  The IETF

While existing registrations are inconsistent, it has previously been
argued on this list that this should say "The IESG" instead.

I also note there are some other inconsistencies with RFC 4288, the tem-
plate there uses "Type name" while the I-D uses "MIME media type name",
similar for "Required parameters" versus "Mandatory parameters", there
is no "Restrictions on usage" field, and other things along those lines.
I think it would be good to follow the 4288 template more closely.