Request for review of Turtle (an RDF serialization) media type: text/turtle

Felix Sasaki fsasaki at
Fri Dec 21 13:14:23 CET 2007

James Cloos wrote:
>>> Shouldn't the normative reference be to the UCS (ISO 10646) rather than
>>> to Unicode?  The Universal Character Set is the international standard.
> Felix>
> Felix>
> Felix> "Since specifications in general need both a definition for their
> Felix> characters and the semantics associated with these characters,
> Felix> specifications SHOULD include a reference to the Unicode Standard,
> Felix> whether or not they include a reference to ISO/IEC 10646."
> I was coming from an IETF POV rather than a W3C POV, hense the feeling
> that the ISO should be prefered over the industry org for normative
> references....
not sure if this is a question of POVs - it probably depends on what
information you want to point people to. Both Unicode and ISO/IEC 10646
provide the same code points, but Unicode provides alsoadditional
semantics useful for implementers. See the first link above.