Request for review of Ogg Media Types: video/ogg, audio/ogg, application/ogg

Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves justivo at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 03:13:01 CET 2007

On Dec 3, 2007 9:24 PM, Frank Ellermann <nobody at xyzzy.claranet.de> wrote:
> As a user who just managed (again) to install "Ogg codecs"
> for WMP 7.1 I'm satisfied with your solution of using "ogx"
> for the modified application/ogg, while preserving "ogg"
> for the new audio/ogg.

Thank you.  We spent a good couple of months discussing possible
solutions to make a distinction between different content on Ogg, and
ultimately this one was accepted and refined to its current form.

> Why not LIMITED USE instead of COMMON for application/ogg ?

While currently the concept of Ogg applications with multiple signals
or even actual scrippted applications is not a common sight, we hope
the situation will change in the future as complex Ogg applications
become mainstream in the scientific community (among other audiences).

However, you raised a valid point, and if this is also the opinion of
other members of this list, then we will consider changing that bit in
the application/ogg section.

Regards,
Ivo