Request preliminary check of 8 personal media types

Damian Dollahite master.ryukage at gmail.com
Sun Sep 24 11:57:43 CEST 2006

Mark Baker wrote:
> The general approach looks fine, but there's less information there
> than would typically be available in the registration template.

What's missing, specifically? Should the registrations duplicate the
format specifications instead of simply providing a URI for the longer
documents?

> The use of "version" parameters is often problematic though;
> historically, those kinds of parameters aren't used.  Do the different
> versions of the Z machine have, say, different magic numbers or are
> otherwise distinguishable?  Can you provide any version to a typical
> processor and it will just work?  If not, you might consider separate
> media types.

Most processors can handle versions 3, 5, 7, and 8. Support for the
other versions is spottier, because actual examples of them are very
rare, and version 6 has special features that many processors don't want
to implement. I'm well aware that version parameters aren't often used
in practice, and I don't expect this one to be, but I think it's useful
to have it available.

> The use of "t3vm" as a separate facet in the personal tree is
> unconventional, and might be better suited to the vendor tree.  Minor
> issue though IMO, since AFAIK, there's no semantic difference between
> them.

RFC 4288 says:

   "Registrations in the vendor tree will be distinguished by the leading
   facet "vnd.".  That may be followed, at the discretion of the
   registrant, by either a media subtype name from a well-known producer
   (e.g., "vnd.mudpie") or by an IANA-approved designation of the
   producer's name that is followed by a media type or product
   designation (e.g., vnd.bigcompany.funnypictures)."

I don't know what would be involved with getting "t3vm" IANA-approved as
a product designation, but somehow I think it would be more trouble than
it would be worth. RFC 4288 also says that the vnd. tree is for
"commercially available products." It doesn't define exactly what a
"commercially available product" is, but whatever the definition I doubt
TADS 3 qualifies. As you say, there doesn't seem to be much, if any,
semantic difference between vnd. and prs., only eligibility
requirements. The fact that the prs. tree is for "products that are not
distributed commercially" seems to imply that the same syntax rules
apply as for vnd.

M.D. Dollahite

--
M. Damian Dollahite