Scripting Media Types

Bjoern Hoehrmann derhoermi at gmx.net
Sat Feb 12 22:02:54 CET 2005

* ned.freed at mrochek.com wrote:
>There is no defined process for deprecation of a media type. The closest
>thing we have is marking the type as being obsolete, and the media types
>registration procedure specifically calls for this to be done "when use of
>the type is no longer appropriate". This IMO matches the present case
>exactly.

Well, my concern is that it would be misleading to suggest people use
application/ecmascript instead of text/ecmascript if the overwhelming
majority can't do that at the moment, so my preferred approach is to
register these types now as COMMON (or LIMITED USE) and update the
registration later to consider them OBSOLETE when support for the
alternate types is more widespread. But I guess pointing out in the
document that marking those types as obsolete does not mean there is
much wrong if these types are used/implemented for reasons of
backwards-compatibility would avoid confusion.

Bruce, would registering these types as OBSOLETE be acceptable to you?