[AVT] Re: Comments on draft-freed-media-types-reg-01.txt

John C Klensin klensin at jck.com
Thu Sep 9 05:35:10 CEST 2004

Hi.

For whatever the additional calibration is worth, my reactions
are in complete agreement with Ned's on all issues.  In
particular, the notion of registration by application, rather
than file (body part) content has been absolutely miserable and
a plague on interoperability.  Part of the reason is that, in
many situations, we can have application X that can handle file
formats A, B, and C, and application Y that can handle file
formats D, E, and B.  If the content types reflect the formats,
there is no problem -- both simply use B.  If they reflect the
applications, then there is an serious interoperability problem.

   john

--On Wednesday, 08 September, 2004 06:59 -0700