Testing the waters for text/troff

Ben Morrow ben at morrow.me.uk
Wed Nov 24 21:40:33 CET 2004

At  7pm on 23/11/04 you (Bruce Lilly) wrote:
> some of the obscure things asked for; for example, I have no idea
> what "Macintosh File Type Code(s)" is supposed to mean
> [searching for "Macintosh File Type Code" on the Apple web site
> yielded zero useful results].

Apple calls them 'creator' and 'type' (IIRC) codes. Each file on an
Apple (HFS) filesystem is labelled with two four-octet codes, a
'creator' which indicates which application to open with and a 'type'
which indicates which of the formats that application supports this file
is in. So, for example, a TIFF saved from Photoshop has creator '8BIM'
which, for reasons best known to Adobe and Apple, means Photoshop, and
type 'tiff'.

In your case, as *roff is unused on Apple systems, you could simply
state that there is no Apple type code.

Ben

--
And if you wanna make sense / Whatcha looking at me for?          (Fiona Apple)
                            * ben at morrow.me.uk *