MIME types for preliminary community review

Chris Lilley chris at w3.org
Thu Nov 18 11:13:22 CET 2004

On Wednesday, November 17, 2004, 6:24:17 PM, Ben wrote:

BM> [...] (I can think of at least two other uses for this
BM> convention: '+zip' for formats which are a zip file with a specific
BM> layout, such as JAR, Perl's PAR, mozilla.org's XPI and Quake's pk3; and
BM> '+gzip'/'+bzip2' to denote a gzip compressed version of a format), but
BM> it would need proper discussion and specification.

For the first of those yes as its a file format; for the second, no -
remember the attempt at application/gzip and then the introduction of
Content-Encoding. Something which is gzipped should indicate its actual
media type, and use Content-Encoding to indicate that it is gzipped.

 Chris Lilley                    mailto:chris at w3.org
 Chair, W3C SVG Working Group