SVG12: image/svg+xml gzip requirements

Thomas DeWeese Thomas.DeWeese at Kodak.com
Wed Dec 8 12:38:14 CET 2004

Hi Bjoern,

   Please don't rewrite the TAG finding.  The TAG indicates that
User agents should 'notify' the user of the problem.  It does not say
that these documents must be rejected.  From
http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/mime-respect.html#handling-inconsistency

     For example, a small "bug" icon in a graphical browser's user
     interface can indicate that the user agent has overridden sender
     metadata and can also act as a button through which a curious user
     might inspect the error or reverse the agent's choice.

   I might also point out 4.2 where the last paragraph says:

     Representation providers SHOULD NOT in general specify the
     character encoding for XML data in protocol headers since the data
     is self-describing.

   Which would seem to support not including the character encoding
in the SVG mime type.

----