XHTML, XML, fancy text, and applications

Dan Kohn dan at dankohn.com
Mon Apr 21 17:38:32 CEST 2003

>> As I have some programming background I think
>> application/xhtml|xml would have been much better and the pipe was
>> available in addition to the plus sign.

For historical curiosity, I'll mention that as a co-author of RFC 3023,
I was in favor of using the pipe | (e.g., application/xhtml|xml, which
was used in an earlier draft), but I was convinced by my co-authors that
it could be too easily confused with capital I and lowercase l in many
fonts.

I suspect it didn't really matter, and the delimiter is in any event now
firmly established as +.

          - dan
--
Dan Kohn <mailto:dan at dankohn.com>