Registration of MIME media type application/vnd.nokia-mrv+xml

Leon.Hurst at nokia.com Leon.Hurst at nokia.com
Wed Nov 7 14:58:41 CET 2001

again, the specs don't have to be public, but the specs should exist and
be referenced.  we don't want to register types that aren't yet defined.
LH> Yes we have mature specs.

and part of the purpose of the registration is to inform implementors, and
the
public, about the risks of using the type.  so I don't really like
statements
of the form "users must determine the risks for themselves" but we don't
have
a mechanism for denying registrations in vnd.* space.
LH> I think that a comment along the lines: "the content type should be
discarded
by systems which do not know what to do with it. Knowledge about this
content type
handling can be gained from existing (but currently unpublished
specifications).
Please check http://nokia.nokia.com for the specs which will be released in
the
near future"

I wish there were some effective way to compel vendors to be responsible
regarding the security risks to which they expose their customers.
So far, we haven't found one.
LH> Bottom line: If you dont know what to do with a content type then you
should
discard it.

Leon.