Language for taxonomic names, redux

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Thu Mar 2 00:14:46 CET 2017

Kent Karlsson wrote:

>> Nobody spells Carl’s name as Linneus.
>
> It shouldn't, but happens anyway. Esp. if it is someone not used to
> write that name, like, say, a programmer (programming language tag
> insertion software)... But also but also people who "should know
> better".

The correct subtag values are in the Registry, regardless of what
natural-language words or names they may be derived from.

If one of us careless programmers hard-codes "linneus", or for that
matter "arevemda" or "ithasa", that does not mean the subtag value
should have been chosen differently. They are data items and if this
list decides to register a variant 'xdfgbjhn', people who type it
manually instead of copying it from the Registry need to type it
correctly.

As an aside, I saw "en-UK" yet again today on this list. There's only so
far we can go in educating folks.

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, CO, US | ewellic.org