Need decisions on proposed new and updated subtags

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Fri Jan 13 02:24:02 CET 2017

On 13 Jan 2017, at 00:03, Don Osborn <dzo at bisharat.net> wrote:

> Agree with Shawn. Think of -spanglis as "precomposed" at a time when we're yet not ready for a dynamic system?*

We don’t need a dynamic system because mixing any random one of 7847 ISO 639 language codes with any other just isn’t something that is productive enough to need a generative system for.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Interlanguage_varieties is many, but not too many for our registry.

> However I do think that we'll see a *lot* more combinations in the coming years, even ones that are hard to imagine today, along with needs for handling them in technical (and social) contexts that are impossible to predict.

Not that many, I should think.