Spanglish

Martin J. Dürst duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Mon Jan 9 05:39:44 CET 2017

Hello Elizabeth, others,

On 2017/01/07 07:31, Elizabeth Pyatt wrote:

> 2) There are situations where languages switch syntactically, but the phonology remains very similar to one of the original languages. English/Hindi code switching as seen in Bollywood films and real life clips appears to behave like that.

Probably yes. But one has to take into account that many Indian speakers
have an English accent that is already closer to Indian languages than
e.g. to British or American English.

> 3) There are also cases where extensive loan words from another language are used, but it’s hard to know how much competence in the other language the speaker has.

The examples can always serve as a lower bound for language competence
in the other language.

> I do believe there are mixed language texts and a way to mark them up is needed,
> but I would be very cautious in assuming that there is one and only one variety
> of “Spanglish". Codeswitching can range from complete bilingual competence
> with transitions between phrases/clauses

Or even switching with transitions between complete sentences. At least
that's what happens (mostly) in our family.

> to Ricky Ricardo inserting the English word “henna rinse” into an otherwise normal Spanish sentence.

Regards,   Martin.