Spanglish

Luc Pardon lucp at skopos.be
Fri Jan 6 22:53:51 CET 2017

On 06-01-17 21:39, John Cowan wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 6, 2017 at 4:34 AM, Luc Pardon <lucp at skopos.be
> <mailto:lucp at skopos.be>> wrote:
>
>     Next, people who think fine-grained tagging serves no purpose may
>     want to read up on the WCAG 2.0 "success
>     criterion" 3.1.2. That criterion says:
>
>     > The human language of each passage or phrase in the content can be
>     programmatically determined except for proper names, technical terms,
>     words of indeterminate language, and words or phrases that have become
>     part of the vernacular of the immediately surrounding text. (Level AA)
>

> Well, yes.  It's the "words of indeterminate language" that are the problem.
> In the sentence "Porque were you hablaing with ese seƱorita?", the matrix
> language is English and there are Spanish loan-words in it, but "hablaing"
> is neither English nor Spanish, but a Spanish root with an English
> grammatical
> ending.  Marking it up as either en or es would be wrong.

   That may be why 3.1.2 states that they need not be tagged ("except

   Yet I'd personally recommend that it be tagged in such a way that the
screen reader pronouce it in the proper way. Try to imagine how it would
sound when pronounced in the English way.

   Marking it up with "es-spanglis" would take care of both problems.

   Luc