Spanglish

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Wed Jan 4 19:53:05 CET 2017

Well, I can’t do anything to defeat that in CLDR, but I hope you can. I don’t think it’s a good idea either. I do NOT think that the principles that define Spanglish or other contact-language forms is generative or extensible and I don’t think a generic mechanism for plugging language names together is useful for anything.

I don’t even think the subtag “spanglis” is going to be useful for spelling dictionaries or the like would be all that useful. For identifying the content of something, yes. For complex and automatic processing? I doubt that many people would even imagine such tools.