Language for taxonomic names, redux

Caoimhin O Donnaile caoimhin at smo.uhi.ac.uk
Tue Feb 28 22:51:38 CET 2017

I have just come across an instance myself where it might possibly be
useful to distinguish between 'la' on the one hand and
'la-taxon'/'la-linneus' or whatever on the other hand.

I am compiling a database/network of cognate words, mostly in Celtic
languages, and ran into:

   esox - Latin word used by Pliny to refer to a type of fish in the
   river Rhine, probably a salmon.  Related to Irish eo, 'salmon'; Welsh
   eog, 'salmon'; Cornish eghek, 'salmon'; etc.

   Esox - a genus including the pike and related fish, and _not_
   including the salmon!

http://www.smo.uhi.ac.uk/gaidhlig/faclair/bunadas/d.php?d=16964

CaoimhĂ­n