How to add 2 letter language code in ISO 639-1

Mark Davis ☕️ mark at macchiato.com
Tue Feb 28 14:58:02 CET 2017

While that is an accurate response, it isn't the whole response. Even if
ISO 639-1 were to add a two letter code:

   In order to avoid instability in the canonical form of tags, if a
   two-character code is added to ISO 639-1 for a language for which a
   three-character code was already included in either ISO 639-2 or ISO
   639-3, the two-character code MUST NOT be registered.  See
   Section 3.4 <https://tools.ietf.org/html/bcp47#section-3.4>.

That means that such a 2 letter code would not be used by BCP47, which
means it would effectively be pointless for language tagging. Most industry
has shifted to using BCP47 as the source for codes for language, territory,
etc, since they provide the stability that ISO doesn't.

Mark