How to add 2 letter language code in ISO 639-1

Arthur Reutenauer arthur.reutenauer at normalesup.org
Tue Feb 28 14:19:42 CET 2017

	Hi Saroj,

  This discussion list is not responsible for the various ISO standard
code sets; we only monitor the changes in ISO standards to reflect them
in the language subtag registry (http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry).
The institution responsible for maintaining ISO 639-1 is Infoterm
(http://www.infoterm.info/standardization/iso_639_1_2002.php), you can
try and contact them but it is unlikely that they will consider new
codes for adoption.  I don’t know what the exact criteria are but it is
very, very rare that codes are added to ISO 639-1.  There are a few
hints about what the criteria are on the website of the US Library of
Congress that is the maintenance agency for ISO 639-2
(http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-2/faq.html#13).

	Best,

		Arthur