Language for taxonomic names, redux

Philip Newton philip.newton at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 16:21:49 CET 2017

On 24 February 2017 at 16:03, Michael Everson <everson at evertype.com> wrote:
> I would also like other members of this list to be explicit about their support. misgivings, or disapproval of the scheme. No plus-ones, and if you’re fence-sitting, say that explicitly too. Thanks.

Since you asked:

Personally, I'm generally in favour of it.

The logistics of how many people will start using it when and for what
are a bit overrated, in my opinion. If something has merit as a
distinguisher, it has merit whether one person uses it or a million.

That said, your George Long is an interesting example as it has some
similarities. Proper nouns in general act differently from "words".

Arguably, perhaps "Hosszú György" is not Hungarian and is not, in
fact, in any language at all but is instead a label.
--
Philip Newton <philip.newton at gmail.com>