Language for taxonomic names, redux

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Thu Feb 23 18:45:46 CET 2017

Andy Mabbett wrote:

>> Because if this idea of yours were a good idea,
>
> I wasn't aware that tagging content to indicate the language it uses
> being a "good idea" was in question.

Where I think we are running into disagreement, or miscommunication, is
the question of whether this is a "language" or not. Languages have
grammars and different parts of speech that can be used to express a
very wide range of content. You cannot say "Hello, Andy" or "Is it sunny
outside?" or "God save the Queen" or "Ouch!" using taxonomical
nomenclature. To many of us, it is a system of labels, a very flexible
and useful and well-known one, but not a "language".

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, CO, US | ewellic.org