Language for taxonomic names, redux

Andy Mabbett andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Thu Feb 23 11:49:49 CET 2017

On 23 February 2017 at 02:57, Michael Everson <everson at evertype.com> wrote:

>> On 22 Feb 2017, at 23:57, Andy Mabbett <andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk> wrote:

> You said:
>
>> Indeed, as soon as a tag is available, I shall see that it is used in literally hundreds of thousands of English-language Wikipedia articles about taxons, more again in other languages, as well as hundreds of thousands more in Wikispecies, and a even larger number of taxonomic items in Wikidata.
>
> Surely if planning such sweeping changes you’ve discussed this with members working on:

[...]

No. Its not a "sweeping" change; it will involve only a couple of
edits to two or tree templates.

> Because if this idea of yours were a good idea,

I wasn't aware that tagging content to indicate the language it uses
being a "good idea" was in question.

> then it would need to be Wikipedia policy.

No. You appear to have a fundaemntal misunderstanding of Wikipedia polices.

> Otherwise you could alter 50,000 pages and unless you were tracking all of them your tagging would be lost and the effort wasted.

I'm not sure how the "hundreds of thousands" of articles to which I
refereed became "50,000" in your mind; but I won't have to edit a
single one of them.

Does the creation of a language (sub) tag by IETF really depend on the
internal workings of Wikipedia?

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing