Language for taxonomic names, redux

Andy Mabbett andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Thu Feb 23 01:05:20 CET 2017

On 22 February 2017 at 21:31, Michael Everson <everson at evertype.com> wrote:

> "Which language are taxonomic names "divisions or variations within"? As I noted all those years ago, they're not Latin, and not English.”
>
> Then you’re not looking for a subtag. That won’t fly.

The subtag suggestion was Doug Ewell's; I asked, initially (in 2003)
for "a language code for marking up the taxonomic names of living
things",, and in my first post on this thread, for "suggestions as to
how [how to indicate the language of these names] might finally be
resolved".

> They are Latin. Adjectives are expected to conform to gender endings for Latin. From the Wikipedia:
>
>> The second part of a binomial may be an adjective. The adjective must agree with the genus name in gender

If I invent some words that use English grammar, does that make them
part of the English language?

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing